1990 Toyota pick 98 M-TDI swap need some help

Jfritz33

TDI
1990 Toyota with 1.9L vw turbo diesel
First time posting on this site so be patient with me. Decided about two years ago to ditch the 22re due to lack of power and too many electronics to deal with. Sold the motor and purchased a 1998 1.9L TDI. Did a lot of research and went mechanical and swapped pumps, acme adapters swap kit, bigger injectors, new turbo, front mount intercooler, EGR delete, custom 2.5" exhaust, and a hole bunch of new parts to make the swap work. I have the motor in, and running, I am hung up on the throttle cable. It is way too long and haven't figured out how to make it work. If anyone that has done this swap can give me some ideas and pictures to make it work would be great. I could take it to a shop but I'm trying to save money, the swap wasn't cheap.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
For my MTDI samurai, I took a VW mk2 diesel throttle cable, cut the pedal end off, then made a pin with a set screw that fits into the pedal assembly. I have no idea what a Toyota pedal looks like, but I'd imagine it's probably similar.

ronnierider

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 1987 4Runner w/97aaz swap
I reused the Toyota cable, shortened it and made a fitting that pinches the cable. I'll try to get pics, but essentially a bolt that goes through the pump's plate with a hole for the cable pinched with 2 nuts would do the trick. 100,000 kms on my swap now and it's been trouble free.