97 Jetta Engine removal how to?

Rincontrx650

TDI
2002 Golf
Hello all, new to the forum looked through the 63 pages of information but did not find an article relating to engine removal.

I bought a 97 Jetta 1.9 tdi last week that has a rod problem will be looking for a replacement block. I was wondering if there is a how to with pics for an engine removal?

Any help or links would be appreciated used the search feature but came up empty handed.
Thanks

Tony
Ottawa

Sorry I am new to front wheel drives, my other toy's are a 38 dodge pickup, 45 wc52 4x4 and a 55 m 37. New to diesels.
Thanks

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Not to difficult, and quite similar to the B4. Look in the 'Conversions' posts for some idea of what's involved.
Basically drain fluids, disconnect electrical harnesses, disconnect shift controls, disconnect exhaust, disconnect drive axles from transmission (easier in my opinion to remove the engine and trans as a unit, separate and reattach out of the car), remove motor mount bolts, lift.

Rincontrx650

TDI
2002 Golf
Thanks

Thanks Lug-Nut, for pointing me in the right direction. I started by taking pictures today of the wirres and throtle cables and such. I will go look in the conversions section as you mention.
Thanks
Tony