TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI Motorsports (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   looking for best bank for buck VW diesel (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=504655)

rsperson January 9th, 2020 09:08

looking for best bank for buck VW diesel

I have a 2002 Jetta/MK4 TDI with over 360k miles. I would like to start looking for a slightly more modern Jetta Diesel to mod - not 1/4 mile but more very good handling and performance - but streetable. A good candidate for simple mods and not cost too much to start. ie: do I want a MK5 or MK6 or what. lots of mods don't fit my MK4 but cost is an issue so a very new car is out of the question.
thanks all and let the "discussion" begin

Lightflyer1 January 17th, 2020 06:24

Cost goes up dramatically with anything above a MKIV. Maybe a 2005 or 2006 PD Jetta. Some of the buyback cars can be had quite cheaply as well right now.

rsperson January 25th, 2020 08:30

doing a little more thinking....

I have access to a potentially larger pool of cars. I do occasional driving for a car broker. Most of the things he gets are more of a flipper type car. He also gets things that need just a little more work. Dealer wholesale, auctions etc. The big thing is that cars that need bodywork often get skipped - too much time to profit from a flip. Most cars are decent values, need maybe brakes, tires, alignment and real good detailing. Anyway - cars that are a little outside a flippers easy flip radar are what I am looking for. I guess a MK6 with SOME body damage or a really clean MK5 with a little work needed are when I should look for. Thinking MAYBE 150hp mod - definitely NOT over 200hp. Suspension upgrades eventually. Just is there a model that I should be on the lookout for. I really want a Jetta.

I see many mods available for MK5 and newer - not so much for a MK4. Just really need an idea for how new to I need to go.

rsperson January 25th, 2020 08:32

Oh - whats a PD Jetta

Lightflyer1 January 25th, 2020 11:47

You really should do some reading here before making a move. Your old Jetta had the old style fuel pump. 2005/06 Jettas got PD (Pump Duse) for fuel, and after that 2009 on things went to common rail. Any 2009 and later can make 150 hp with a minor tune only easily.

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/...012-2014/Stock

rsperson January 25th, 2020 14:51

THANKS!!! thats EXACTLY the kind off info that I was looking for. I had friends with Diesel trucks and what was good and bad. Common rail was a good thing for them as well. Sounds like 2009+ for me. Now I can start reading about those cars.

Lightflyer1 January 25th, 2020 16:17

The other ones can do that as well. My 2006 Jetta was tuned to 150 hp +/-. The later cars already start with more HP to start with so getting a little more to 150 isn't hard. My 2015 Beetle came stock with 150 HP IIRC. Maybe all the 2015's, I am not sure. But the later models have much more complicated emissions systems on them that the pre common rail ones do. Of course deleting any of this stuff is illegal and has its own problems to deal with. You need to really read up before you decide what you can and can't do and then decide what you want to do. Read up in the power forum too. Lots of info in there.

NewTdi February 25th, 2020 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsperson (Post 5563268)
I have a 2002 Jetta/MK4 TDI with over 360k miles. I would like to start looking for a slightly more modern Jetta Diesel to mod - not 1/4 mile but more very good handling and performance - but streetable. A good candidate for simple mods and not cost too much to start. ie: do I want a MK5 or MK6 or what. lots of mods don't fit my MK4 but cost is an issue so a very new car is out of the question.
thanks all and let the "discussion" begin

what kind of performance goals are you trying to achieve? There are some amazing turbos now available and without breaking the bank 300hp should be attainable. It is best to start with a goal in mind in terms of performance.

Twitch March 5th, 2020 17:46

Someone correct me if i am wrong but i believe certain years of the mk6 tdi jetta have irs (independent rear suspension) which will handle better then a torsion beam rear. Then good set of coils sticky tires nt555 g2/ nt05 and upgraded sway bars should make the car handle extremely well for road course then tune and delete im not sure if anyone makes aftermarket injectors for a commonrail tdi

rsperson March 5th, 2020 19:08

Seems like I can get a beat-up 2009-11 Jetta and get a little more crazy. Looks like 300hp is not out of the question. If I find a good enough deal, bigger turbo, injectors, a few pipes, probably a pump, clutch and a major tune. Repairable/salvage and put the money where it counts.

My existing toy will probably need to get parted out unless I can find a decent 2 rotor for it.