2005.5 engine "hesitation" while driving?

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MkV 2005.5 Platinum Gray/Gray Leather Pk2
Hi Everyone, It is good to be back here in the forums!

Here is the issue I currently have on my 2005.5 Jetta TDI: When driving in all conditions and I have the cruise control on it seems as though the engine "hesitates" or "burps" when driving along. It feels like an immediate loss of power for half a second and then is fine. I also noticed this when driving without the cruise control on and it is the exact same feeling. This has been going on for about 3 months now.

The other issue that I am noticing is that the car seems to "vibrate" or "pulse" when stopped at a light. It is a very very slight vibration throughout the car when sitting at a stop light. It does not occur all of the time but has been going on for about a month now.

Thanks again for the assistance....it is much appreciated! :)

PS...I have tried several different fuel stations for diesel and does not appear to be fuel related as far as I can tell. The "hiccup" is as if power was taken away from the engine for a fraction of a second. This is a manual transmission as well.

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Not sure about the hesitation issue, so I'll refrain from guessing.
Regarding the vibration/shaking at a stop light: How many miles? Is your DMF original?
A worn DMF will shake the vehicle after disengaging clutch or neutral on a DSG, which is most noticable after vehicle stops moving.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Sometimes I have this issue too but mine isn't with DMF but SMF. So I decided this must be probably fueling dependant...

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Folks! Appreciate the response. MYAV, I have the original DMF....the car has 78K miles on it. Benpfree and Henrick I am going to check out the thread Benpfree put up and see if that gets me closer to a solution. A more accurate description of the "hiccup" it feels as if the car comes out of gear or if it was a bad shift on an automatic car if that makes sense. Thanks!

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
And my car does that little intermittent vibration at idle at stoplights (link in my sig). If its not the DMF (since its intermittent and also on cars with SMF's, thats more likely), it seems that it may be the fluid dampened motor/tranny mounts showing their age, as theinternot fixed his vibe by replacing his that leaked.

flyvsdrive

TDI
2005.5 Jetta (MKV BRM)
I was having this identical problem on my 2005.5 Jetta 5 spd. It began around 130,000 miles on the odometer. While cruising at a steady speed, the car would lose power for about 1 or 2 seconds then regain power. It would not kick the cruise offline. A few months later at 134,000 miles, while climbing hills on cruise at a steady speed (typically around 60 - 65 mph), the car would lose power and the cruise would go offline. The car would remain at low power with no cruise available until I restarted then everything was back to normal. Finally at 135,000 miles an early morning start was accompanied by the tell-tale "lupping" sound with metallic ticking sounds above 2000 RPM. It's as if a switch had been flipped overnight. It turned out the cam was the cause for the sounds.

New cam is in but I'm still having some low boost problems. After looking around, I've determined that the turbo's vane actuator has failed -- it doesn't hold vacuum pressure. So, that could have been a cause for the drops in power. Check your actuator and see if it will hold vacuum pressure and if the actuator rod will extend when vacuum is applied. Should be fully extended at 20" vacuum.

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Now that you've mentioned turbo actuator, regarding hesitation, I remember reading a thread on it. I believe either MOGolf or DieselDorf posting steps to isolate this, so do a search.

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
I will check on the turbo actuator. Just completed a 1200 mile trip up to Denver to see Nickelback in concert (great show btw) and the car did great but a SLEW of issues are coming up with regards to it. I TOTALLY forgot that I have an extended warranty through Warranty Direct that takes me to 100K and 7 years. So I am well within that. Literally within the past 3 months several issues have arisen. The driver door will not lock all the time with the key FOB now. It takes a twist of the key in the lock to secure the car. It think it is time to exercise the warranty now! Flyvsdrive....I have no metalic sounds at all. Simply the hesitation that may indeed be the turbo actuator....I will look on the thread about hesitation and take a peek! Thanks folks will report back with my findings!

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
The driver door will not lock all the time with the key FOB now. It takes a twist of the key in the lock to secure the car.
I would wager a bet that this is a frayed wire in your drivers side door harness. This happened to me along with the fuel door not opening, windows and interior lights working intermittently for me. I tore it apart and spliced the ground wire and all is fine (for now).

I too have experienced the engine hiccup. I'll be interested to see what the culprit is.

lil' Smoker

TDI
'06 jetta tdi
Any resolution to this issue yet? I'm working on this problem as well with my '06 jetta. After an extensive chat with my VW dealer's service manager, I removed the valve cover and took a look at the cam. My cam is galled very bad on 3 or 4 of the lobes and the followers are not in good shape either... So back to the conversation with the service manager at the dealer, he has had numerous complaints of this and it has been the same thing over and over for the most part. He took a guess of what the problem is and explained what to look for under the valve cover. Might be something you could check out too if the problem is still present. took me about 45 min start to finish to find my issue.