Chapin, SC GTG Jan 30, 2010

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I will be hosting a GTG at my home Saturday, January 30, 2010. 7 am to 7 pm.

Landon (TurbineWhine) and Bruce (Paramedick) will be in attendance, along with the usual suspects in the local crew.

Wiki removed due to probable malware issue. It did not work too well anyway. Just post what you are bringing (tools, manuals, VCDS), what you would like to get done, and any special foods you wish to bring.

Friday, Early arrivals welcome any time. VCDS seminar 6 to 9 pm, with pizza.

Folks,
We have the food covered, the basics anyway.
Pork BBQ
Greens
hushpuppies,
slaw
baked beans
And plates, utensils, etc.

We will put out a jar for contributions.

If anyone wants to bring dessert, go ahead on.

If you are on the list to get work done, please bring 24 sodas or waters.

If you are working on brakes, bring brake cleaner, paper shop towels.

Laundryeater, noplug, midntdi please bring a box of 100 nitrile gloves size large. Michael C. has already donated.

If you are cleaning an intake - plan on taking it to the car wash. We have a rainsuit you can wear. I do NOT want all that loose crud in the shop; either bring a clean intake to swap out or take it to the carwash. After the car wash, we will have a couple of buckets to finish cleaning, one for solvents, one for hot soapy water, if you wish. Bring several cans of brake cleaner for final cleaning,and a couple of rolls of shop towels.

No solvents or oils on the ground. My family and I drink well water from this property. Spilling and dripping work should be done in one of the bays (we will have 4 this time). If you get caught short, we have drip pans we can use under your car.

If we have decent weather, we should get it all done. If we have bad weather it will be a challenge.

Parking will be another challenge. I think I can park about 50 cars at once, but the parking ****'s will have to be out in force.

If you are not getting work done, or only VCDS scans and vehicle check outs - please park down near the road on either side of the driveway. Those areas are spread with sand under the leaves. I have driven my low Jetta to all the parking down there, so it should be fine. People have parked there at the last two GTGs with no issues.

If you are getting work done, try to get closer to the shop or garage.
We will be doing all the brake work in the lower garage - the one attached to the house.

The nastier and heavier work should be done in the upper shop - furthest back. If it is clear, then the lift pumps and intake manifolds should be done outside near the upper shop.

Jeff will be set up in the finished area in the upper shop. No other work will be done in this area. This is where the coffee and snacks will be set up.

No one will get under any vehicle that is not on concrete, up on jackstands, with the ebrake on, and chocked.

Please bring your own safety glasses and gloves, If you need to borrow some just ask.

We could probably use a couple of shop lights, trouble lights.

We could use a small portable air compressor for the garage. I can borrow one if no one can easily bring one.

I am looking forward to Saturday, seeing old friends again, meeting new ones and getting a lot of work done.

Last edited:

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
for some reason my computer won't let me update the wiki, if someone else goes in,
I will bring
PIG(eastern Carolina(vinegar and pepper) style), motive power bleeder, pella

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'd like to go, but won't be able to. Maybe if there's a GTG in the SE in the spring.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
I'll see if I can make it. Depends on how broke I am and if I can afford the fuel to get there. Maybe I could get my calipers powder coated by then, and have them installed there :) Ya'll did such a wonderful job bleeding my brakes last time, I'd hate to ruin a good thing ;)

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Count me in ,I'll be there. I'll be glad to bring drinks, plastic ware ,or what ever else you would like to suggest.
I plan on being there till the end this time .

Looking forward to it ! :D

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
I will be there...
get the "catolectomy" tools ready :D

look forward to seeing everyone

hope to have my auto trans fluid changed by then (5 speed tip) so I can help other folks...
bill

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
terrydtdi said:
Count me in ,I'll be there. I'll be glad to bring drinks, plastic ware ,or what ever else you would like to suggest.
I plan on being there till the end this time .

Looking forward to it ! :D
If I come, I don't know if I want to stay til the end again LOL The drive home from Chapin to Atlanta is a long one...especially at what 12:30 in the morning? lol

Then again, as long as I dont' have a laundry list of things to do and show up late, that shouldn't be an issue! haha!

We'll start small....just install calipers and brake fluid change. :) By the time this GTG rolls around...there will be more...guaranteed! :eek:

D

dlm308rem

Gree

If all goes well on this end... I will be there ALL IN for the weekend..

I have about 2 gallons of greens frozen (cooked in Fat Back) I will be glad to bring or send.

My bud rickyb may show up also

Dan

MKIInut

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Spice Red
We'll be there for sure with kids in tow. Plan on getting the T-belt and water pump changed within the next several weeks.. (depending on Dan's work schedule.

Thanks again for the cam inspection done today.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
ncroadwarrior said:
I will be there...
get the "catolectomy" tools ready :D

look forward to seeing everyone

hope to have my auto trans fluid changed by then (5 speed tip) so I can help other folks...
bill
Bill , you may want to spray the exhaust flange nuts down a couple times with some penatrating oil before the GTG, unless you've had it off recently.
Are you talking in terms of g^~-ting/yeah fixing it ? I'll be glad to help you with this. I will try locate the special tools.

Last edited:

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
Yeah, Robbie and Dan had a "special" pipe that did the job w/o any problem.

hoping its hanging around Dan's shop...
plenty of PB Blaster on hand too

tks for the heads up ...see ya there

bill

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
DidJettarun said:
I believe this is referred to as the " cat-pipe" and is used to restore optimal function
Ahh soo...

Can't wait...eastern style BBQ, good greens and a free flowing "cat"...what else could one ask for:D

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
I'm hoping to be there. Shouldn't be a problem making it. Would like help from Wade with brake fluid change, if he's willing

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
bigEZ said:
I'm hoping to be there. Shouldn't be a problem making it. Would like help from Wade with brake fluid change, if he's willing
Is it time to do that again already? Both of my cars are in need, I will bring the motive and brake fluid. I will help you with yours if you help me flush whichever car I drive down.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
Hey DJR and I have learned (with Dan's help) the way to bleed the brake system with VCDS which purges the ABS system too. It really firms up the pedal and completely flushing out the ABS pump but this way does using alot of fluid so if you guy want to do it that way order 2 cans of fluid each.

laundryeater

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '15 Golf SW
Hey guys! I'd love to make it to this GTG. I'm in need of a brake fluid change! I'm also looking for the guy with the converted Corrado. He was at the Asheville GTG that was held in the summer. Can anybody point me his way? Thanks!

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
I'm more than willing to help, and i can bring whatever is needed as far as food, supplies, etc. I'm trying to figure out the wiki; I registered for it but can't figure out how to post to it. So, if anyone wants me to bring anything, let me know

engineerorange said:
Is it time to do that again already? Both of my cars are in need, I will bring the motive and brake fluid. I will help you with yours if you help me flush whichever car I drive down.

k45

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
bigEZ said:
I'm more than willing to help, and i can bring whatever is needed as far as food, supplies, etc. I'm trying to figure out the wiki; I registered for it but can't figure out how to post to it. So, if anyone wants me to bring anything, let me know
Just go to whatever section you are wanting to add info and click on it to edit it then add a new row and put your info in like an excell spreedsheet.

I am loooking forward to this. I need to get out of NC for a break and this will work out great. Will try to have the VW cookies this time and can lend a hand. i am not doing much of anything on my car, but if somone wants to help with my heater controls not wanting to light up that would be great.

MKIInut

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Spice Red
I am thinking about bringing cole slaw if the pig is still on the menu. I can't get the Wiki to work for me.
I can bring some shop supplies (shop towels, gloves) as well.

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
Dankcorey22 said:
Hmm sounds fun! I think ill go if i dont have to work that weekend. RC5 if jeff will be there:D
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=265628
Im selling some parts and stuff^. If anyones interested ill bring whatever down to Dans
Signing up as tentative. Everytimg I commit to a GTG I have to bail at the last minute! Have VCDS for MKV and a pressure bleeder that Laundryeater is welcome to use.

Possible to do BRM Timing Belt at this GTG? I was thinking about doing it over xmas and renting tools from BB, but I'm only at 94k miles so I could put it off for a few more weeks. Need to get some measurements on the tools so I can just make my own...

-Aaron

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
It is generally discouraged to do something as major as a TB at these GTGs. It is too easy to get distracted and make a mistake.

You can measure a set of BRM tools if you wish.

Dan

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
DanG144 said:
It is generally discouraged to do something as major as a TB at these GTGs. It is too easy to get distracted and make a mistake.

You can measure a set of BRM tools if you wish.

Dan
Roger that. I read a nice writeup on the job last night and I believe I can manage it on my own.

Still planning to attend regardless :p