WIPER PROBLEMS ON JETTA

Ramjet

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
anyone experience slow and non functioning wipers on their Jettas? Mine is a 2000 TDI and the wipers will stop in the middle of the windshield and then slowly inch by inch finish the cycle. I often need to pull on the wiper arm to make them move. I'm thinking wiper motor needs replacing but who knows could be something else. Any feedback is greatly appreciated....Thanks

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Your 2000 car is an A4... you posted in the A5 forum...

That said, most likely the shafts to which the wiper arms are attached have corroded inside their bushings... you need to take apart the mechanism (do a search on wiper seizing) and if you're lucky, you'll only need to "persuade" the shafts out and give them a good cleaning and lubrication... as well, the "joints" on the way from the motor to the arms may need the same treatment... This is common, but you'd better do it before the motor burns out...

Yuri.

Ramjet

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the info Yuri, thats exactly what the problem was, shaft on drivers side was so corroded I couldn't even move it by hand. Cleaned her all up, had to use the torch to heat up the housing in order to get the shaft out, but working good now....thanks a whole bunch..

Gundalow

TDI
Jetta GLS 1999.5 Black
99 a4 jetta 176,000mi now, Same symptoms yesterday.
Wipers went up and stopped. Then little fractional moves every now and then.
Will explore more on the weekend -- pray for no rain until
I can get at it.
Removed wiper fuse to hopefully save motor-- we'll see

A5JETTA

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan 2006 Blue
Rain-X applied properly before an expected rain can help; but the great aerodynamics hurts the effectiveness. It can help some, however, if your afraid of getting caught out in the rain w/o wipers.