TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   Future TDIFests (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   TDIFest 2018 planning discussion (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477329)

VeeDubTDI May 11th, 2017 08:49

TDIFest 2018 planning discussion

TDIFest 2018: Life after Dieselgate

What is required to host a Fest?
  • Hotel with affordable room rates (sub $150/night)
  • Group activity space (usually a hotel with a conference center or other area where we can congregate for extended periods of time)
  • Event ideas (auto-cross, drag racing, group scenic drive, etc.)
  • Food ideas (people need to eat)
  • Reasonable weather for the time of year (historically Labor Day Weekend, but that isn't set in stone)
  • A local (100 mile radius?) group of people (recommend 3 to 6 dedicated individuals) who can see the process from inception to execution

If you are in an area of the country that you feel is conducive to a TDIFest and you have the time and energy to put into planning a national event for a large group of people (100-200), please post here.

Please do not use this as a casual location suggestion area. Things like "have you considered having a Fest in ______ location?" and "______ location would really be swell" are not productive if you aren't willing to do the work to make it happen.

While I don't have the time to take the lead on any more TDIFests, myself and others will be available to provide some direction. We have a steering committee of about a half-dozen members who have been involved in TDIFests for over a decade, so you aren't alone!

jason0423 June 4th, 2017 06:45

I'm not a super regular poster here, but how about Cleveland? It's a wasteland where TDI gurus are concerned, but there's affordable hotels and convention centers, we've got the soon to be two time champion cavaliers, the Indians, and the browns, Cedar point is a short drive west, and the whole area is situated on a beautifully picturesque lakefront setting.
If there's interest, I could put in some work to get things rolling.

DieselFan1984 June 4th, 2017 09:17

If you consider Cleveland, you have to remember the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame there, and other Hall of Fames short drives from Cleveland too.

jason0423 June 5th, 2017 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5287755)
Are you up to plan it?
There was a Fest in Mason Ohio a few years ago......not my Favorite Fest?

I'm up to HELP plan it. I'm local, so I can scout some sites and do some legwork without issue. I've never been to a tdi fest, so I'm not sure I would be a good choice to do all the planning.

aja8888 June 5th, 2017 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason0423 (Post 5288488)
I'm up to HELP plan it. I'm local, so I can scout some sites and do some legwork without issue. I've never been to a tdi fest, so I'm not sure I would be a good choice to do all the planning.

PM VeeDubTDI and see what it takes to put a team together to do all the scouting and tasks. The key is finding the hotel/facilities that will allow a large group to have the place for a long weekend and accommodating vendors and activities.

Heck, the last Fest was about as good as it gets and I wouldn't mind seeing another one there.

jason0423 June 6th, 2017 05:31

I'd be fine with one anywhere on the eastern half of the us, really.

rocketeer928 June 7th, 2017 20:08

I would likely come to a Cleveland Fest.

15jetta_leftover June 7th, 2017 20:55

South Carolina �� Would be amazing

aja8888 June 7th, 2017 20:59

Maybe we should have a poll...:rolleyes:

aja8888 June 7th, 2017 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo366 (Post 5289674)
Evidently no one has read the 1st post in this thread.....

Especially the posters who just throw out location suggestions...

VeeDubTDI June 9th, 2017 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 5289672)
Maybe we should have a poll...:rolleyes:

Quote:

LOL. :rolleyes: :D

jason0423 June 11th, 2017 21:43

Quote:

I did.

VeeDubTDI June 12th, 2017 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason0423 (Post 5288488)

See if you can recruit some local forum members to help you put a plan together. Ohio certainly has plenty of suitable venues available for a Fest, plus it's convenient to the midwest, New England and the Appalachian mountains... lots of club members within a 500 mile drive.

scurvy June 12th, 2017 13:09

Again, for the people in the back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI (Post 5276858)
Please do not use this as a casual location suggestion area. Things like "have you considered having a Fest in ______ location?" and "______ location would really be swell" are not productive if you aren't willing to do the work to make it happen.

If you aren't going to put a group together and actually do the ample legwork to make your Cleveland / Eastern US / South Cakalacky / Upper Cracktown / Moncton / Xalisco / Berwyn Fest idea pan out, don't bother posting.

Your assistance in keeping this thread on point is appreciated.

benIV June 12th, 2017 20:50

How many people made up (are needed for) a typical planning group?