2005 TDI Jetta Wagon Transmission issue

drinkenbuddie

I usually change the transmission oil with mobile one ATF but Walmart didn’t have
It so put something else in. Big mistake. Now it has to warm up to shift and will shift down too. Running in second only until warm. Been trying to get it back out of there 4 quarts at a time but thinking that I can’t. So always waiting somewhere for it to warm up to shift. Once warm works perfect too. It has 265,000 trouble free miles on it. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?:D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You probably have a bad ATF temp sensor. Check the TCM for DTCs, and check the temp data and see if it jives with what it should be.

The sensor is part of the internal harness, and is located in a spot that requires the transmission come apart (silly Japanese). However, you can get a new harness with sensor, and splice the new sensor into the existing harness and just mount it next to the valve body somewhere. It won't really care so long as it is sending the TCM a correct signal.

You may also want to check, via scan tool, BOTH sides of the coolant temp sensor (CTS), as the TCM is supposed to use THAT signal in the event of a loss of ATF temp. However, if your ATF sensor is still working but simply sending the WRONG value, then it won't think to disregard it and plug in a less goofy input value.

Last edited:

drinkenbuddie

You probably have a bad ATF temp sensor. Check the TCM for DTCs, and check the temp data and see if it jives with what it should be.

The sensor is part of the internal harness, and is located in a spot that requires the transmission come apart (silly Japanese). However, you can get a new harness with sensor, and splice the new sensor into the existing harness and just mount it next to the valve body somewhere. It won't really care so long as it is sending the TCM a correct signal.

You may also want to check, via scan tool, BOTH sides of the coolant temp sensor (CTS), as the TCM is supposed to use THAT signal in the event of a loss of ATF temp. However, if your ATF sensor is still working but simply sending the WRONG value, then it won't think to disregard it and plug in a less goofy input value.
I can’t believe this issue is caused by a sensor and not the transmission fluid? It started when I put the wrong ATF fluid in. I hate to throw more money at it but it’s such a great car.

drinkenbuddie

I can’t believe this issue is caused by a sensor and not the transmission fluid? It started when I put the wrong ATF fluid in. I hate to throw more money at it but it’s such a great car.
I can just wait for it to warm up too. I just hate waiting when leaving work but not working much now but hospital is a mess and seem to always work more than I want. :(

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well nobody can believe anything until somebody spends a few minutes with a scan tool connected to the car, so.... :confused:

drinkenbuddie

Ok did a few searches and found out what was wrong and fixed it. Yeah
Replaced the N92 solenoid. Wasn’t to bad.
I have been changing my transmission fluid and was using Mobile one and then went to the mercon 5 and swear that’s what messed it up but maybe it’s miles. 265,000 and counting. Cost 5 quarts at 10 bucks a quart and gasket seal 8 bucks and N92 solenoid 30 bucks. Time is of and essence so who knows but wish I would have done it earlier to be not messing up my car. Drives and shifting like a dream.
Thanks All!!

drinkenbuddie

Got my scan thing to work but won’t clear codes. Ross tech light.
Yes it is throwing the transmission temp code.

drinkenbuddie

Ex girlfriend stole the old laptop with windows xp. Go figure. That’s why I couldn’t scan. But down loaded the new version and working.