snow screen

Frederick King

TDI
03 golf tdi
What is everybodys opinion of what to do with the snow screen in alh platforms. I just traded my 02 auto jetta with 173k in for a 03 golf 5 speed with 149k. In my old 02 I cut the screen out and got smoother pick up thru the rpm range. Tonight I changed the fuel filter and the air filter in the 03 golf. I noticed someone had drilled 2 5/8 holes in the air box. It had some nasty looking grit in it and the filter was dirty. I checked the snow screen and it looked like it had never been touched. I took a knife to it. The engine felt like it fell on its face at about 3200 rpm before I serviced it. After it was a hole lot quicker. I think I will tape up the big holes in tthe air box to help to keep it cleaner.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
The snow screen does contribute to vacuum formation in the induction system, which can increase control valve (n18, n75) release times under full load.

I prefer to remove this screen, and use the cold weather filter (add an A at the end of the filter element part #). 2004 and newer air filter boxes drop the screen entirely for the cold weather filter and a slightly different filter box that has an internal partition.

RamMan4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
I just clean it when I change the screen every 20k miles when I change the air filter. It's not too much work, but its partially blocked with sand and grit every time so it may not be worth the hassle.

+1 on the cold weather filter

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"2004 and newer air filter boxes drop the screen entirely for the cold weather filter and a slightly different filter box that has an internal partition."

That's what I thought until two years after buying my 2004 PD Jetta I took a look and it HAD a snow screen in the intake snorkel. It was completely plugged too. I cut it out. The car also came from the factory with the cold weather air filter and the wording on the air filter box to replace the air filter with the "A" suffix, cold weather filter. I assume my air filter box is correct for a 2004 MY BEW engine.

The car was manufactured in October 2003. Its a very early 2004 (PD) model. I suspect that my car had a 2003 ALH engine left-over snorkel (with snow screen) installed.

--Nate