TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles? (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477243)

DanB36 May 10th, 2017 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 740GLE (Post 5276195)
BTW I have zero sympathy for anyone trying to gouge the system and gets hung out to dry,

It's a good thing your sympathy doesn't matter here.

duratitus May 10th, 2017 06:57

Quote:

BTW I have zero sympathy for anyone trying to gouge the system and gets hung out to dry, and IMO this is gouging the system, regardless of what legalese of the court settlement.

I don't blame you, and I am not asking for sympathy from anyone.

I have zero sympathy for VW for their efforts to gouge the system, and I think it quite a work of art on their part to try to back out of the settlement they agreed to.
They agreed to it before the Judge even signed it...!!!

The settlement payout dollar amount was based on the number of vehicles they produced with the cheat software, so they knew they had this coming, regardless of who owns the vehicles, and agreed to it.

Whether they pay the money for 100 cars to 1 owner, or to 100 different owners should not be a factor, and was not a factor based on the fact that non VW dealerships were included in the settlements.

Let's say 100 different VW owners opted to sell their cars to me for a lesser amount so they could get the money right away instead of waiting for the settlement, and let's say I agreed to hold the cars with my money tied up for months on end, taking the risk of of the judge changing the agreement, or VW purposely delaying the process, or declaring bankruptcy..........

..............This may be gouging the system, or it might be capitalism, where one person of their free will sells their interest in their goods, and another of their free will purchases their capital accepting the risk.

The system was designed to be gouged........because it was based on the number of cars, not the number of owners.

arcaidy May 10th, 2017 07:22

Recently seen someone trying to unload a bunch of salvage TDI's on craigslist. Wonder if they ran in to the same thing?

VWMark May 10th, 2017 07:50

My feeling is you are gouging the system, at least with the salvage title cars. The intent of this whole thing was to either fix the cars or get them off the road. A totaled car was already off the road, so buying it, fixing it and then selling it back to VW does not get another car off the road.

You are of course correct that according to the settlement documents you are entitled to get full buy back money. I can also understand VW trying to put a stop to it. The 2 cars with clean titles should of course have no issues. Also the fact that you have notarized buyback agreements should make all of this a non-issue and you should get the money. My guess is VW is stalling and trying to weed out people who are not willing to put up with the extra hassle. I think if you stick with it you will get the money. At the least, this may deter other people from trying similar stuff.

One other thought: The cars that don't have clean titles may have restitution payments in process for the previous owners, you may be screwing them over.

duratitus May 10th, 2017 07:59

You are somewhat correct.

The agreement was to get the cars off the road that were on the road as of 9/18/2015.

Just a simple inspection, and the salvage title cars would be back on the road. That is why the buyback only applies to cars that run and drive. It's not hard to put a running car back into service.

The settlement applies based on 2 things.......past clean title status as of 9/18/2015, and current driveability, so it will never go back on the road.

surfstar May 10th, 2017 08:47

Quote:

BTW I have zero sympathy for anyone trying to gouge the system and gets hung out to dry, and IMO this is gouging the system, regardless of what legalese of the court settlement.

It may be zero sympathy, but I think its also 100 on the jealousy scale.

I know I wish I read the settlement docs when they first came out - could have made a nice side business out of finding market inefficiencies.

fredthe May 10th, 2017 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWMark (Post 5276245)
...The intent of this whole thing was to either fix the cars or get them off the road. A totaled car was already off the road, so buying it, fixing it and

just driving it DOES NOT GET THE CAR OFF THE ROAD. If a car is fixable, then the car is still potentially on the road. Some people like the VW diesels. If VW wants them off the road, then they should be expected to pay to get them off the road. It's their fault for not offering a $$ for totaled cars, just to guarantee someone wouldn't fix them and drive them. They didn't so they are now on the hook to get that repaired car back off the road.

VWMark May 10th, 2017 10:17

The problem is people are now digging up totaled cars to fix and sell them back. If there was no buyback, most of the cars would not be brought back on the road.

duratitus May 10th, 2017 10:23

^^^ Incorrect.

The real problem is that VW cheated when they made the cars to start with.

Just because someone wrecked the car after they purchased it from VW does not mean VW should get off scott-free for lying about the emissions when they sold it.

But to get back on topic, I'm still waiting to hear from others who are experiencing issues with non clean title cars. - The class counsel attorney has said there are over 500 of these in limbo with VW right now.......

VWMark May 10th, 2017 10:57

VW is not getting off scott-free, they are still paying the restitution money on the totaled cars.

My guess is that's the hold up. People are filing restitution claims on totaled cars, then someone buys that totaled car, fixes it, and then puts in a buyback claim. That leaves VW paying double, I'm sure not something they want to do.

VeeDubTDI May 10th, 2017 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWMark (Post 5276358)
VW is not getting off scott-free, they are still paying the restitution money on the totaled cars.

My guess is that's the hold up. People are filing restitution claims on totaled cars, then someone buys that totaled car, fixes it, and then puts in a buyback claim. That leaves VW paying double, I'm sure not something they want to do.

Wouldn't the previous owner and the current owner split the restitution?

GoFaster May 10th, 2017 11:07

It may take some time to sort that out. The person who "deserves" the payment is the person who owned the car as of 15 Sep 2015. I have little sympathy for people attempting to profit from VW's troubles.

DanB36 May 10th, 2017 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI (Post 5276361)
Wouldn't the previous owner and the current owner split the restitution?

There's no provision in the 2-liter settlement about anyone splitting restitution with anyone else.

VeeDubTDI May 10th, 2017 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanB36 (Post 5276399)
There's no provision in the 2-liter settlement about anyone splitting restitution with anyone else.

Thanks for the clarification.

kjclow May 10th, 2017 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanB36 (Post 5276399)

I knew that didn't sound right:
"Because a car may have more than one owner during the relevant period, for those cars that changed hands after September 18, 2015 and during the claims period, the settlement equitably divides the Owner Restitution payment approximately 50/50 between the owner as of September 18, 2015 who later sold the car (“Eligible Seller”) and the current owner (“Eligible Owner”). To qualify for an Eligible Seller restitution payment, you must identify yourself with 45 days of the entry of the Preliminary Approval Order. If preliminary approval is granted by the Court on July 26, 2016 (the date of the preliminary approval hearing), you will have until September 16, 2016 to identify yourself. Note that if you sell your car after June 28, 2016, you will not be an Eligible Seller (or an Eligible Owner)."