92 jetta possible injection pump problems

92jettatdifan

TDI
02 jetta 1.9 and 02 jetta 1.6 tdi
hey i have a 92 jetta 1.6 tdi with a little over 400 000 km on it and im haveing problem with it cutting out when driving as if its not getting fuel injection pump has a small leak around the throttle not sure if its related but its not consistant it can be driving well and all of a sudden it falls on its face and wont run past quarter peddle makeing it very difficult to drive theres no air on the inline so im courious if it would be do to the pump and if i can find a guide to rebuild it i would really appreciate any input on this problem

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Your 1992 is an IDI engine, as opposed to a TDI. InDirect Injection, 100% mechanical, no computer. :)

As such, I'd recommend posting over at www.vwdiesels.net... that's where most of the IDI folks hang out these days and you might get some good ideas.

Some folks here may be able to help as well, but this is primarily a TDI site. There is an "other diesels" forum section here where IDI engines get discussed.

Your leak at the throttle shaft is fairly common on a car this old and not too hard to fix... there will be some good threads over there on this as well.

That said, it's probably not causing your sudden loss of power.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
1) have you changed fuel filter this century?

2) is there still a plastic water separator located on the bottom of the car below the passenger-rear seat area? If so, remove it and throw it away and simply splice the two lines together instead of having the old fuel separator which, over time, cracks and allows air to be drawn into the line.

3) have you ever pulled the fuel sender unit out of the top of the fuel tank and cleaned the little screen?

Just some of the "usual" crap on the older cars.