flush power steering?? is it worth it?

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black

at my timing belt at 60k i was going to flush my power steeering but im thinking its not worth it seeing people with 200k and not doing it. last time i did it on my other car i created problems. any ideas?

cage

Top Post Dawg

Due to good circulation of the fluid during use I just suck out the fluid in the reservoir and refill. I am so hi tech that I use the squrirter off a spray bottle and spray it into the bottle.

Paul_L_Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
None

I plan on doing it. Easy way is to suck it out and fill with new. Repeat every weekend for 3 weeks and you'll have 99% of the fluid changed.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

[ QUOTE ]
Repeat every weekend for 3 weeks and you'll have 99% of the fluid changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, you can literally drive around the block and do your drain/refill...no need to drive the car for a week. The PS fluid circulates rapidly.

I think it's a good idea to do this maybe every 80k - 100k miles. It sure isn't going to hurt anything assuming you refill with the proper fluid. It should cost all of $12 to freshen it up...no big deal.

mattstdi

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 5 Speed, Tornado Red

OK. For new cars, you want to replace your power steering fluild about every 3 years or 36K. The reason is that the oil additives break down over time. The one additive you should be concerned about is the group that condition's the seals. A good shop (like mine) can get just about all the old oil out. And no, we do not recommend this service to generate income for something that is not needed. Just remember the STP commercial: "Pay me now or pay me later"
"Education and Equipment Cost Money" Matt /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif