0588 Airbag Igniter - Resistance to High

braunfels_tx_tdi

TDI
A3,98,white
I have a 98 Jetta TDI.
I had someone change out the ignition switch and after they did that I have the dash light on my airbag on. I figured they probably tested the ignition switch with the airbag uninstalled which probably tripped the code. I have never had a wreck or anything.
I can clear the code with the vag com but the light won't go out and the error returns ##$%#$!!

What does this mean, and what can I do to clear the light on the panel. I need to get my car inspected.

anthony

sambo

TDI
2000 A4
I also have a 00588 error code for my driver side airbag (Air-bag Ignition Circuit - Driver Side-N95 or Airbag Igniter: Driver Side(N95)) in a 2000 Jetta TDI. Anyone know of anything I should ask the mechanic to look for? I'm hoping I can find a mechanic who knows more than I do (shouldn't be too difficult - I don't know anything :confused:. The airbag was removed when a new alarm was installed, and then a second mechanic found the connector for the airbag was not connected properly (can't imagine how this could happen). Haven't taken the airbag off, but it looks easy according to the Bentley manual.

Helvetictrades

TDI
GOLF 5
The manual say :

Airbag igniter -
driver's side -N95-

Faulty wiring or connections

Resolution : Replace faulty wiring or
connections
or

Replace driver's airbag -
N95-

CHeers

Mr Thistle

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I have read a bunch of places that it could be the clock spring behind the steering wheel, so I decided to see if I could get to it. I did manage to pull the airbag out easily enough and decided to just clean out the connectors with brake clean, lol. So far it has worked. I cleared the code and rand a scan using the VCDS and the codes have cleared. If it comes back I will re-post.

p.s. Just stating the obvious, disconnect the battery before messing with Air Bag stuff.