2012 Jetta TDi stick - First gear won't get in gear

vw_lover

TDI
2002 & 2012 Jetta's TDi
Hello fellow VW,

This weekend was a blend of emotions, with the selling of my beloved 2010 GTi Coupe, and the buying of a 2012 6-speed Jetta TDi. The issue I'm having (and I took a chance when buying this vehicle) is that when stopped (or when rolling) the first gear is at times impossible to engage. It just won't. But sometimes it will just fine.

What I tried:
- release clutch, depress clutch try again: no result
- double-clutching: no result
- engage 2nd gear then first: no result

What I did notice is that when I prepare to shift in 1 gear, pushing the stick to the left, if I wiggle it forward and backward a few times, it will go in gear almost every time.

I do not think it's the tranny, which is working just fine otherwise. I took the stick boot off and there is railing that goes from the stick to the gearbox that I suspect can be adjusted (there is a little hole that allows for a pin to be inserted to align the stick in a "home" position). I check the forums and couldn't find a how-to.

I'm also planning on doing a transmission flush and look for metallic debris that might describe a synchro issue (I hope not).

Any suggestions or thought would be appreciated!...

Thanks,

Mathias

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There is a little plastic piece on the shift linkage arm under the battery that may have popped off. It happened to my golf, making first gear engagement very notchy. I replaced the plastic junk with the dieselgeek sigma six short shifter kit. Shifts way better than it ever did now.

vw_lover

TDI
2002 & 2012 Jetta's TDi
Thanks Mate. This is my wife's car so I don't think the short shifter kit will fly with her (she don't really give a crap about this stuff). I will try to locate the plastic piece you're referring to and let you know.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yup, could just be out of adjustment too. The piece that popped off mine is a little white rectangular bit about the size of a thumbnail. It pops onto a spherical knob. Dieselgeek sells an improved version called a super slider for $25. The knob it pops onto was so worn on my golf that I elected to get the short shifter.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
One thing I noticed when i drove the 6MT was the springs of the shifter gate were rather strong and took way more effort that I was expecting to get all the way over to first. Maybe if your able to get it in second you shouldn't have any problem.

How many miles on the ride?

vw_lover

TDI
2002 & 2012 Jetta's TDi
Thanks Turbobrick240, I've seen this kit online. Will take a look at this specifically over the weekend.

740GLE: 157,000 Km so far. She's a young girl. :)